Saturday, November 3, 2018

Possible Design Changes




A front-page cover photo of Eric Wallner flying a motorized Easy Riser at Oshkosh came out in Sport Aviation magazine in 2018.  Subsequent discussions with Eric inspired me to summarize some of the design changes he made to his 1970's kit when he built it that could be considered as beneficial to the foot launched glider.  Several of the changes he made were specific to the motorized version which I will not include in this summary. I will also not mention detailing changes that I’ve already covered in my other sections in this blog and are not actual "design changes".

1. All struts shortened by 3 inches which also required the rudder planform to be changed. I do not have the pattern for his rudder but from the photos it appears to have the same, general shape.  This change will also affect the stagger measurement you make and will not be the 14 inch dimension given on the Pre-Rig plan sheet #3.

2. The wing dihedral was reduced from 6 inch offset to 4 inch offset (a 30% decrease).

3.  An anti-sweepback or drag cable was mounted internally from what I understood to be the internal leading edge strut gussets out to the trailing edge rudder bracket. I don’t know what hardware Eric used to mount this cable. I assume it was 1/16 cable.

4.  Shortened the top panel by 6 inches to allow the upper and lower tips to fold down even. This reduces the sail area and hence will affect your wing loading.

No comments:

Post a Comment